Monday, January 26, 2009

Russell Bauer Sits Down For A One On One

Q: In the game last week you played fullback for the first time in your Continental career, explain your initial feeling on that?

"The one thing that my coaches taught me in track was that being a good leader requires one to put his interests behind what is best for the team. In track that often meant I had to run 4 races in a meet. For the Continentals, that means I have to drop back to help our struggling defense."


Q:Will you miss spending all your time on the attack?

"Obviously I loved being a winger. You can probably ask any player and he would say he loves being on the attack. Attackers see all the goals and glory. You would have to find a lad with a few screws loose to say he loves defending; or maybe someone prone to violence, in certain situations. But the truth is, at this stage of my career, I want to see more wins and if playing defense can help the team reach that goal I would do my damnedest to keep us competitive at the back."

Q:There has been a lot of talk this season of playing "Total Football", does that have anything to do with a willingness to move closer towards your defending goal?

"I really have no objection to seeing myself in the back 4 or 5 because I share manager Vinton's vision of achieving Total Football, a popular ideology in world football which sees all players playing in a free-flowing style across the entire field. In this system, defenders and attackers are interchangeable, depending on where one finds himself on the pitch at any given moment and where he is relative to the ball. Really, I should never have to be 'just a defender.' It takes a very profound understanding of the game which the manager is trying to instill in the squad, and though it takes time and fitness, we're seeing a lot of progress in our indoor season."


Q:As a leader of the club are there any current weaknesses you would like to see filled going into the spring?

"The necessity to fill positions also exists, since my brother Dylan (our starting left back) is leaving for the Navy before the NJSL resumes, and former defensive all-star Louie C. is leaving to pursue NCAA interests."


Q:Final Question, As a player who wore the Continental Armband many matches in the fall, how fo you see yourself as a developing leader of the club?

"Although Clayton wears the armband, the Board and manager have entrusted me with an important leadership role on the team along with Clayton and veteran Deighan. I've worked hard to earn the respect of my teammates and I want to do what is best for the squad as a leader and one of eleven. Moving to a new position is a new adventure for me, but being a leader is all about doing what's best for the team."

No comments:

Post a Comment