Monday, April 6, 2009

Clayton's rehab progressing


(Hope, NJ)-

Former player and current Continentals “caretaker” manager Dan Clayton has been making strides towards a possible comeback onto the pitch. He has been sidelined with a torn labrum since Feb 24th and was placed on the injured list, three days later Clayton was named the new Continentals manager.

In that time Clayton has been using unique training styles and tactics to rave reviews by club supporters and mixed reviews by players saying they are being pushed too hard. “ I really could care less what people say either way” Clayton said via teleconference “ I believe what I am doing with the club is finally leading it towards playing the game right, that is key, if we continue to play well, victory will be achieved as well as additional fan support”
Asked when he will make his return as player: “I really haven’t given it much thought lately because I’m enjoying coaching the lads. Right now with the additions of Rob, Juan, Marco, Steve, and the depth we now have at goalkeeper including the reemergence of Tyquan (Griffin) and Randao’ we now have the depth to keep everyone fresh and have the numbers to implement my system.; However the doctors have now allowed me to bike, so I’m biking everyday with light jogging in about three to five days.”

“My target date has been April 19th Clayton said. But I want to make sure when I make my return I am one hundred percent, if I’m still physically not up to my own standards I will not play until my fitness and my overall health is improved. I believe when I can return we will be a better team but I am only one man, and it’s up to the other fifteen guys (currently on the roster) to do their part every game to win.”

This reporter believes that Clayton will help the team and based on his summer MCSSA performances at center back he could definitely bolster the defense of the Continentals who currently have a minus sixty-two goal differential in the fall-spring NJSL season; however, if he is back to one hundred percent, he could move to attacking midfielder. Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. TAKE YOUR TIME RED! WE KNOW YOU CAN STAY AWAY FOR LONG, BUT WE NEED YOU 100% IF YOUR GONNA RETURN TO THE PITCH.! YA BOY CHEATHAM!

    ReplyDelete